Sunday 13 March 2011

Interview Etiquette

Another post about interviews at The Forum, but this isn't about the success of interviews. Rather, it is about those that have said "no" to an interview.

Firstly, I am totally sympathetic to those that say "no". There are multiple reasons why guests can't, either they are bound by their managers, in a rush to go to the next venue or have been told by their PR not to.

Usually those that have said no have been of a much higher status, for example Trey Songz, Tyga and Lloyd all US international stars. However, The Game also came to The Forum and said yes to an interview by Samuel Recko.

Although, this may not be the best example. From Samuel Recko's words, The Game (or just "Game" now? :S) was very unresponsive and kind've rude - he was using his phone whilst being spoken to.

Now I'm not saying it's just US stars that reject student radio interviews Tinie Tempah, Tinchy Stryder and Roll Deep all said "no" too. But it is about how you say the dreaded two letter word. Tinie spoke to me directly, he apologised, and even promised "next time" (I intend to hold him to this).

Another guest that came to the University of Hertfordshire's club was Reggie Yates. Although we were told "no interviews" he was probably the nicest about it anyone could be! He told Callum Hale and myself that we could speak to him directly, not just his manager and agreed to a photo with us.
This is where my point about etiquette comes in...

Although student interviews may be considered unimportant to a presenter that is used to being on Radio 1 every week, he still aknowledged and respected us.

And so, my message to future guests of any student union and something I myself will consider when I'm hounded for interviews in the future:

If you can, say yes, five minutes of your time may effect the whole future of a budding journalist. If you can't, say no respectfully and maintain a good reputation among your fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment